Gluten Free Banana Flax Muffins (Adapted from The Minimalist Baker)
• 2 eggs (for vegan flax eggs version see The Minimalist Baker’s recipe)
• 2 ripe bananas
• 3 Tbsp agave nectar, maple syrup or honey if not vegan
• 3 Tbsp unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
• 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners, or grease pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs.
3. Next add bananas and mash. Add agave, baking powder, vanilla, almond milk and stir.
4. Add almond meal and ground flax seed and stir once more.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean and they become somewhat firm to the touch with a little give.
6. Remove and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Then cool all the way on a cooling rack.
7. Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap for several days. Freeze for longer storage.
These muffins didn’t rise much (or maybe not at all) when baking, so next time I think I’ll add a little more baking powder. I also realized that I completely forgot the almond milk, whoops! But they were super tasty!